I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 16.1 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous version was 15.4).
ExTiX 16.1 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 8.2 Jessie/Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 15.10. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.10.0. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
The system language is ENGLISH.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 16.1 build 160120 with LXQt Desktop environment
1. ExTiX LXQt is based on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf. LXQt 0.10.0 (not in Ubuntu’s repositories) is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 160120. Kernel 4.4.0-0-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.4). Ubuntu 15.10 uses kernel 4.2.
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 352.63 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: Quadro K1200, Quadro M6000, GeForce 920M, GeForce 930A, GeForce 930M, GeForce 940M, GeForce GTX 950M, GeForce GTX 960M and GeForce GTX TITAN X. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 160120?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX LXQt is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 160120.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.2.0-16-exton with kernel 4.4.0-0-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 4.4).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
LOG IN to LXQt
You can run ExTiX live as root (superuser) or as the ordinary user extix. Log in from Slim‘s Login Manager as root with password root in the LXQt version or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will get the opportunity to create your own normal user. When logged in as extix you can use Sudo to become root. (Command: sudo su).
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Ubiquity from the menu (Install ExTiX 16.1). Or click on the Desktop icon Install ExTiX 16.1 when logged in as the ordinary user extix. Then just follow the instructions.
Read my instruction.
Changing the root password
If you install ExTiX to hard drive you must/should immediately (for security reasons) manually change root’s password. This is because the installation program does not ask about a new root password. (Ubuntu original uses no root password). The root password is changed by running the command sudo passwd root. After installing ExTiX to hard drive, you can alternatively remove the root password altogether. This is done with the command sudo passwd root -l.
A general truth: If an original system can run on a particular computer an Exton “remaster” of the same original system can run on the same computer. I never change a Linux system for the worse in terms of auto configuration and hardware detection, etc. It happens that I replace the original kernel, but always to a “better” one with even more native support for various hardware etc. (Which I have done in this case).
Screenshot of ExTiX 16.1 Desktop – LXQt 0.10.0
This version has been replaced by version 160530.