ExTiX 16.4 KDE DVD 64 bit is based on Debian 8.5 Jessie/Debian 9 Stretch and Ubuntu 16.04.1. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed KDE Frameworks 5.18.0 with KDE 4.15. KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms.
The system language is ENGLISH.
My special kernel 4.6.0-9-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 4.6.4. You can download “my” kernel if you want to use it in another Ubuntu/Debian system. Extract ubuntu-kernel-64bit-4.6.0-9-exton.7z with the command 7za x ubuntu-kernel-64bit-4.6.0-9-exton.7z.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 16.4 build 160731 with the KDE Desktop environment
1. ExTiX KDE is based on Ubuntu 16.04.1 Xenial Xerus. KDE 4.15 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 160731. Kernel 4.6.0-9-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.6.4).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 160731?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. ExTiX KDE is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 160731.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.4.0-19-exton with kernel 4.6.0-9-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 4.6.4).
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
LOG IN to KDE
You can run ExTiX live as root (superuser) or as the ordinary user extix. Log in from Slim‘s Login Manager as root with password root in the KDE version or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will get the opportunity to create your own normal user. When logged in as extix you can use Sudo to become root. (Command: sudo su). NOTE: On certain computers it can happen that you end up in console mode when the boot process is over. Then just log in as root or extix and run the command startx. You will then enter X and KDE 14.5. This will most certainly happen if you use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM).
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Ubiquity from the KDE Menu/System (Install the System to hard drive). Then just follow the instructions.
Read my instruction.
Printing using Cups
It’s really very simple to install a printer in ExTiX/Ubuntu. Cups (Common UNIX Printing System) is already installed. Open up Google Chrome or Firefox and go to http://localhost:631/admin. See the following five screenshots showing when I added my local printer HP Photosmart Wireless in ExTiX KDE.
1. Cups start page
2. Add the printer
3. Add a local printer
4. Configuration of the added printer
5. Printing a test document
Online photo editing with Fotojet
For “normal” photo editing you don’t need Adobe Photoshop or Gimp. Just go to fotojet.com (an all-in-one free online tool for photo editing, graphic design and photo collages) using Firefox or Google Chrome.
Changing the root password
If you install ExTiX to hard drive you must/should immediately (for security reasons) manually change root’s password. This is because the installation program does not ask about a new root password. (Ubuntu original uses no root password). The root password is changed by running the command sudo passwd root. After installing ExTiX to hard drive, you can alternatively remove the root password altogether. This is done with the command sudo passwd root -l.
A general truth: If an original system can run on a particular computer an Exton “remaster” of the same original system can run on the same computer. I never change a Linux system for the worse in terms of auto configuration and hardware detection, etc. It happens that I replace the original kernel, but always to a “better” one with even more native support for various hardware etc. (Which I have done in this case).
Screenshot of ExTiX 16.4 Desktop – KDE 4.15
Screenshot of ExTiX 16.4 when ArchEX is running in Virtualbox
Download ExTiX 16.4 from SourceForge.net – Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.
md5sum for extix-kde-64bit-isoh-1810mb-160731.iso