ExTiX 15.3 with KDE 4.14.12 together with KDE Frameworks 5.9.0 is ready!
What’s new in kernel 4.1? (Linux 4.1 is a major update to the Linux kernel)
ABOUT BOTH VERSIONS OF ExTiX
ExTiX Linux Live DVD’s 64 bit are based on Debian Jessie/Ubuntu 15.04. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.9.0 (in ExTiX 15.3, build 150808) and KDE 4.14.12 together with KDE Frameworks 5.9.0 in an extra version of ExTiX 15.3 from 150810. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. And KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms.
Log in to KDE from Slim‘s login page as the ordinary user extix with no password or as root with password root.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can then even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence! I’ve found two scripts which make the installation to USB very simple. My tests show that they work flawlessly on USB installations of all normal Ubuntu systems.
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be super fast I would say!
3. ExTiX is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 150808 respectively 150810..
4. I’ve replaced kernel 3.19.0-14-exton with kernel 4.1.0-3-exton (Kernel.org‘s stable kernel 4.1.3) in both versions of ExTiX.
5. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
Installed packages in ExTiX KDE
Study the full LIST.
Install ExTiX to hard drive
In the both versions just start the install program Ubiquity from the menu (Install ExTiX 15.3). Or when logged in as the ordinary user extix you can just click on the Desktop icon Install ExTiX 15.3. Then just follow the instructions.
Read my instruction.
Changing the root password
If you install ExTiX to hard drive you must/should immediately (for security reasons) manually change root’s password. This is because the installation program does not ask about a new root password. (Ubuntu original uses no root password). The root password is changed by running the command sudo passwd root. After installing ExTiX to hard drive, you can alternatively remove the root password altogether. This is done with the command sudo passwd root -l.
A general truth: If an original system can run on a particular computer an Exton remaster of the same original system can run on the same computer. I never change a Linux system for the worse in terms of auto configuration and hardware detection, etc. It happens that I replace the original kernel, but always to a “better” one with even more native support for various hardware etc. (Which I have done in this case).
This version (15.3) has been replaced by version 15.4 from 151017.