I have made two new versions of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call them ExTiX 15.4 LXQt Live DVD respectively ExTiX 15.4 KDE Live DVD. (The previous version was 15.3).
ExTiX 15.4 LXQt/KDE Live DVD 64bit is based on Debian 8.2 Jessie/Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Unity (Ubuntu). After removing Unity I have installed LXQt 0.9.0 respectively KDE Frameworks 5.15.0 with KDE 4.15. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment.
Ubuntu 15.10 will be released in a stable version 151022. Regardless of this fact you can consider both my ExTiX versions of 151017 as stable. The “Final Freeze” of Ubuntu 15.10 was yesterday (151016).
The system language is ENGLISH.
My special kernel 4.2.0-16-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 4.2.3.
NEWS ABOUT ExTiX 15.4 build 151017 with LXQt Desktop respectively KDE environment
1. ExTiX LXQt/KDE is based on Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf. LXQt 0.9.0 (not in Ubuntu’s repositories) and KDE 4.15 is used as Desktop environment. All packages have been updated to the latest version by 151017. Kernel 4.2.0-16-exton is used. (Kernel.org‘s kernel 4.2.3).
2. Google Chrome is used as Web Browser, which makes it possible to watch Netflix movies. It is not possible in Firefox (in Linux).
3. I have also installed BlueGriffon Web Editor. BlueGriffon is a new WYSIWYG content editor for the World Wide Web. Powered by Gecko, the rendering engine of Firefox, it’s a modern and robust solution to edit Web pages in conformance to the latest Web Standards. Only to be compared with Dreamweaver. (In my opinion).
4. Other included important/useful packages are: LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GParted, Brasero, SMPlayer, GCC and other compilation tools so that you can install packages from source. Furthermore “all” multimedia codecs. Everything the average Linux user could wish for I would say.
5. I have also installed Nvidia Graphic driver 352.55 in the LXQt version. It has support for the following GPUs: Quadro K1200, Quadro M6000, GeForce 920M, GeForce 930A, GeForce 930M, GeForce 940M, GeForce GTX 950M, GeForce GTX 960M and GeForce GTX TITAN X. This driver will be used automatically if your card is supported. Note: One reason for me to abandon Gnome 3.14 (which was used in previous versions of ExTiX) is that Gnome 3.14 won’t run together with Nvidia’s proprietary drivers.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 151017?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (Copy to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from DVD or USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. The installation program Ubiquity (live installer) is now working as intended. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process.
LOG IN to LXQt/KDE
You can run ExTiX live as root (superuser) or as the ordinary user extix. Log in from Slim‘s Login Manager as root with password root or as extix with no password. During a hard drive installation you will get the opportunity to create your own normal user. When logged in as extix you can use Sudo to become root. (Command: sudo su).
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Ubiquity from the menu (Install ExTiX 15.4). Or click on the Desktop icon Install ExTiX 15.4 when logged in as the ordinary user extix. Then just follow the instructions. Note: When logged in as root (super user) you must open up a terminal and run the command ubiquity in order to start the installation.
Read my instruction.
Changing the root password
If you install ExTiX to hard drive you must/should immediately (for security reasons) manually change root’s password. This is because the installation program does not ask about a new root password. (Ubuntu original uses no root password). The root password is changed by running the command sudo passwd root. After installing ExTiX to hard drive, you can alternatively remove the root password altogether. This is done with the command sudo passwd root -l.
A general truth: If an original system can run on a particular computer an Exton remaster of the same original system can run on the same computer. I never change a Linux system for the worse in terms of auto configuration and hardware detection, etc. It happens that I replace the original kernel, but always to a “better” one with even more native support for various hardware etc. (Which I have done in this case).
Screenshot of ExTiX 15.4 Desktop – LXQt 0.9.0
Screenshot of ExTiX 15.4 Desktop – KDE 4.15
Login to LXQt
Login to KDE
ExTiX 15.4 (the KDE version) has been replaced be version 16.2 160508.
ExTiX 15.4 LXQt version has been replaced by version 16.1 160120.