ExTiX 20.8 with LXQt 0.14.1, Refracta Snapshot, Nvidia 440.100 and kernel 5.8.0-rc7-exton :: Build 200804
ExTiX 20.8 LXQt – Build 200804
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 20.8 LXQt Live DVD. (The previous LXQt version was 19.10 from 191023). The best thing with ExTiX 20.8 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten year child can do it! One other very good thing with this version of ExTiX is that it is quite light. The ISO file is of only 1300 MB, which means that you can run the system super fast from RAM. When the boot process is ready you can eject the DVD or USB stick. Use Boot alternative 3 or Advanced options… >> load to RAM. Nvidia’s proprietary Graphics driver 440.100 is pre-installed in ExTiX 20.8. It will automatically be used if your computer has support for it.
ExTiX 20.8 LXQt DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.14.1. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to UEFI-enabled computers. You shall use Refracta Installer for that.
The system language is ENGLISH.
The boot screen when running ExTiX LXQt live. I.e from a DVD or USB stick.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 200804?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from a DVD or a USB stick. Everything will be super fast I would say! Especially since the ISO file is of only 1300 MB!
3. ExTiX LXQt is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 200804.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 5.3.7-extix with kernel 5.8.0-rc7-exton.
5. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installation program Ubiquity (live installer) with Refracta Installer. It works very well. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process and you’ll get a chance to change root’s password. Just start the installer from the menu under System.
6. The best thing with ExTiX 20.8 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
7. Nvidia’s proprietary Graphics driver 440.100 is pre-installed in ExTiX 20.8. It will automatically be used if your computer has support for it. If not, run the command sudo nvidia-xconfig, log out and back again to the LXQt Desktop.
Log in to LXQt
When the live boot process is ready you will end up in X and the LXQt Desktop logged in as the ordinary use live. You can log out and log in again as root if you want. The password for root is root. The password for live is live. While logged in as live you can use Sudo to become root. Examples: sudo su and sudo pcmanfm-qt.
I have replaced Wicd with NetworkManager. It works better. When using an Ethernet connection you may have to find out your Network Interface with the command sudo iwconfig and then run the command sudo dhclient eth0 (for example). If you still can’t reach the Internet you may have to edit /etc/resolv.conf. Command sudo mousepad /etc/resolv.conf. At the end add nameserver 184.108.40.206 and save the file.
My special kernel 5.8.0-rc7-exton corresponding Kernel.org’s kernel 5.8-rc7. You can download “my” kernel and use it in another Ubuntu/Debian 64-bit system if you want. To be able to install Nvidia’s proprietary Graphics driver 440.100 you’ll have to apply a patch before installing. Read this instruction. Don’t try with the newest driver 450.57. It won’t work (even though they say so in the patch instruction).
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Refracta Installer from the LXQt Menu/System (Install from a live CD to your system). Then just follow the instructions. NOTE: If you want to install Grub as bootloader while installing ExTiX on a not UEFI-enabled computer you’ll have to replace grub-efi-amd64 with grub-pc. Just run the command sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install grub-pc before you start the install program Refracta Installer. In the end of the installation you will be asked if you want to chroot into your installation partition and install Grub. Do that. Then run the commands grub-install /dev/sda followed by update-grub.
VirtualBox and VMware
ExTiX LXQt 20.8 runs very well live in VirtualBox and VMware. However, if you want to install ExTiX to hard drive in VirtualBox and/or VMware you’ll have to replace grub-efi-amd64 with grub-pc. Just run the following two commands: sudo apt update and sudo apt install grub-pc.
Important about Refracta
You can use the Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed in ExTiX 20.8) to create your own installable Ubuntu 20.04.1 Live DVD once you have installed ExTiX to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Ubuntu live system. Start Refracta Snapshot from Menu >> System >> Create a live CD snapshot of your system. You don’t even have to install ExTiX to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Ubuntu system while running ExTiX from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 10 – 30 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/snapshots. The whole thing is very simple. Watch a slideshow showing how easy it is to use Refracta Snapshot.
You may want to install Spotify in ExTiX. Just go ahead. It’s very easy. When running ExTiX 20.8 live or from hard drive you can just install Spotify with the command sudo apt-get install spotify-client. Watch a screenshot when Spotify is running in ExTiX KDE.
Study this instruction.
Download ExTiX 20.8 from SourceForge.net – Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.
You can also download ExTiX 20.8 from the Swedish Linux Society.
md5sum for extix-20.8-64bit-lxqt-nvidia-1300mb-200804.iso
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX 10 (with GAPPS) and AndEX Pie 9.0 (also with GAPPS)!
about my Android 11, 10, Pie, Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd 11 (without GAPPS) and RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 (with GAPPS)!