ExTiX 19.5, Build 190508, with LXQt 0.14.1, Kodi 19 “Matrix”, Refracta Snapshot, Nvidia 418.74 and kernel 5.1.0-exton
ExTiX 19.5 LXQt/Kodi – Build 190508
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 19.5 LXQt/Kodi Live DVD. (The previous LXQt version was 19.1.2 from 190102). The best thing with ExTiX 19.5 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten year child can do it! As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 19 ALPHA1 Matrix. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. One other very good thing with this version of ExTiX is that it is quite light. The ISO file is of only 1220 MB, which means that you can run the system superfast from RAM. When the boot process is ready you can eject the DVD or USB stick. Use Boot alternative 2 or Advanced options… >> load to RAM.
ExTiX 19.5 LXQt/Kodi DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and Ubuntu 19.04. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed LXQt 0.14.1. LXQt is the Qt port and the upcoming version of LXDE, the Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of the merge between the LXDE-Qt and the Razor-qt projects: A lightweight, modular, blazing-fast and user-friendly desktop environment. I have also installed Kodi 19 Matrix with some addons already enabled. Most important Netflix, Plex and Amazon Video addons. NOTE: This ExTiX LXQt Build is for installation to UEFI-enabled computers. You shall use Refracta Installer for that.
The system language is ENGLISH.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 190508?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 2 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 2 GB RAM to run ExTiX that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from a DVD or a USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say! Especially since the ISO file is of only 1220 MB!
3. ExTiX LXQt is now more stable than ever. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 190508.
4. I’ve replaced kernel 4.20.0-extix with kernel 5.1.0-exton. Kernel 5.1 is the latest kernel by 190508. (Released 190506).
5. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installation program Ubiquity (live installer) with Refracta Installer. It works very well. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process and you’ll get a chance to change root’s password. Just start the installer from the menu under System.
6. The best thing with ExTiX 19.5 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
7. As an alternative to LXQt you can run Kodi 19 Matrix . Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the LXQt Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
8. Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 418.74 is pre-installed in ExTiX 19.5. It will be used automatically if your computer has support for it.
Log in to LXQt
When the live boot process is ready you will end up in X and the LXQt Desktop logged in as the ordinary use live. You can log out and log in again as root if you want. The password for root is root. The password for live is live. While logged in as live you can use Sudo to become root. Examples: sudo su and sudo pcmanfm-qt. From the LXQt Desktop you can start Kodi 19. Just open Kodi like any other application. If/when you exit Kodi you will return to the LXQt Desktop. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
Use Wicd to enable a wired and/or wireless connection. Run the command sudo iwconfig to find out your network interfaces. Then change Wicd’s preferences accordingly and press the button Refresh. Watch this screenshot.
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Refracta Installer from the LXQt Menu/System (Install from a live CD to your system). Then just follow the instructions. NOTE: If you want to install Grub as bootloader while installing ExTiX on a not UEFI-enabled computer you’ll have to replace grub-efi-amd64 with grub-pc. Just run the command sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get install grub-pc before you start the install program Refracta Installer. In the end of the installation you will be asked if you want to chroot into your installation partition and install Grub. Do that. Then run the commands grub-install /dev/sda followed by update-grub.
VirtualBox and VMware
ExTiX LXQt/Kodi 19.5 runs very well live in VirtualBox and VMware. However, if you want to install ExTiX to hard drive in VirtualBox and/or VMware you’ll have to replace grub-efi-amd64 with grub-pc. Just run the following two commands: sudo apt update and sudo apt install grub-pc.
Kodi 19 in action – watch an animated GIF…
Important about Refracta
You can use the Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed in ExTiX 19.5) to create your own installable Ubuntu 19.04 Live DVD once you have installed ExTiX to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Ubuntu live system. Start Refracta Snapshot from Menu >> System >> Create a live CD snapshot of your system. You don’t even have to install ExTiX to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Ubuntu system while running ExTiX from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 10 – 30 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/snapshots. The whole thing is very simple. Watch a slideshow showing how easy it is to use Refracta Snapshot.
You may want to install Spotify in ExTiX. Just go ahead. It’s very easy. When running ExTiX 19.5 live or from hard drive you can just install Spotify with the command sudo apt-get install spotify-client. Watch a screenshot when Spotify is running in ExTiX KDE.
Study this instruction. I.e. basically run the commands sudo apt install alsa-utils followed by sudo apt install pavucontrol.
The importance of Kodi 19 being in ALPHA level
I don’t think you will notice anything special. I.e. addons won’t crash or anything like that. Please tell me if you have any problems when running Kodi.
1. Kodi 19 running in VirtualBox
2. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – live’s Desktop – VirtualBox
3. ExTiX LXQt/Kodi – Kodi info – VirtualBox
4. Live’s Desktop using the Nvidia Graphics driver
5. Root’s Desktop configuring Wifi
Kodi 19 in action – watch an animated GIF…
This version of ExTiX has been replaced by version 19.10…
andex.exton.net – latest is AndEX Pie 9.0 (with GAPPS) and AndEX Oreo 8.1 (also with GAPPS)!
about my Pie, Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and Lollipop versions for Raspberry Pi 3/2 at
raspex.exton.se – latest is RaspAnd Pie 9.0 (without GAPPS) and RaspAnd Oreo 8.1 (with GAPPS)!