ExTiX 19.3, Build 190307 based on upcoming Ubuntu 19.04, with Xfce 4.13, Kodi 18.2 “Leia”, Refracta Snapshot, Nvidia graphics driver and kernel 5.0.0-exton
NEWS 190307 ABOUT ExTiX Xfce4/Kodi, Build 190307
A new extra version of ExTiX is ready. This version is based on upcoming Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo. ExTiX 19.3 uses the Xfce Desktop 4.13 and kernel 5.0.0-exton. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. This version of ExTiX Xfce4 is for non-UEFI computers. Kodi 18.2 Leia is also preinstalled in this version of ExTiX. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the Xfce4 Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 418.43 is pre-installed in ExTiX 19.3. It will automatically be used if your computer has support for it. Study all pre-installed packages in ExTiX 19.3.
ExTiX 19.3 – Build 190307
I have made a new version of ExTiX – The Ultimate Linux System. I call it ExTiX 19.3 Xfc4/Kodi Live DVD. The best thing with ExTiX 19.3 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system. So easy that a ten year child can do it! As an alternative to Xfce4 you can run Kodi 18.2 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the Xfce4 Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. One other very good thing with this version of ExTiX is that you can run the system fast from RAM. When the boot process is ready you can eject the DVD or USB stick. Use Boot alternative 3 or Advanced options… >> load to RAM.
ExTiX 19.3 Xfce4/Kodi DVD 64 bit is based on Debian and upcoming (release date 190418) Ubuntu 19.04. The original system includes the Desktop Environment Gnome. After removing Gnome I have installed Xfce 4.13. Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. I have also installed Kodi 18.2 Leia with some addons already enabled. Most important Netflix. NOTE: This ExTiX Xfce4 Build is for installation to non-UEFI-enabled computers. You can therefore use the Calamares Installer also in VirtualBox and/or VMware. I.e non-efi enabled computers.
The system language is ENGLISH.
WHAT’S SO SPECIAL about ExTiX and especially the new version from 190307?
1. The ExTiX ISO’s are ISO-hybrids, which means that they can very easily be transferred (copied) to a USB pen drive. You can even run ExTiX from the USB stick and save all your system changes on the stick. I.e. you will enjoy persistence!
2. Another big improvement is that both ExTiX versions can run from RAM. Use Boot alternative 3 (load to RAM). When the system has booted up you can remove the disc (DVD) or USB stick. You’ll need at least 3 GB RAM to run ExTiX 19.3 that way. Running from RAM means that the system will run faster than from a DVD or a USB stick. Everything will be superfast I would say!
3. All packages have been upgraded to the latest version by 190307.
4. Kernel 5.0.0 is the latest kernel by 190307.
5. I have replaced Ubuntu’s installation program Ubiquity (live installer) with Calamares. It works very well. I.e. a new user (your user) will be created during the installation process and you’ll get a chance to change root’s password. Just start the installer from the menu under System.
6. The best thing with ExTiX 19.3 is that while running the system live (from DVD/USB) or from hard drive you can use Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed) to create your own live installable Ubuntu system.
7. As an alternative to Xfce4 you can run Kodi 18.2 Leia. Just start Kodi like any other program while logged in to the Xfce4 Desktop as the ordinary user live. I have enabled a few addons in Kodi. Most important the Netflix addon. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
8. Nvidia proprietary Graphics driver 418.43 is pre-installed in ExTiX 19.3. It will be used automatically if your computer has support for it.
Log in to Xfce4
When the live boot process is ready you will end up in X and the Xfce4 Desktop logged in as the ordinary use live. If you end up in console mode you shall just run the command startx. You can log out and log in again as root if you want. The password for root is root. The password for live is live. While logged in as live you can use Sudo to become root. Examples: sudo su and sudo thunar. From the Xfce4 Desktop you can start Kodi 18.2. Just open Kodi like any other application. If/when you exit Kodi you will return to the Xfce4 Desktop. NOTE: You can’t run Kodi as root. (You won’t have sound).
Use NetworkManager to enable a wired and/or wireless connection. Run the command sudo iwconfig to find out your network interfaces.
Install ExTiX to hard drive
Just start the install program Calamares Installer from the Xfce4 Menu/System (Install ExTiX). Then just follow the instructions.
Kodi 18.2 in action – watch an animated GIF…
Important about Refracta
You can use the Refracta Snapshot (pre-installed in ExTiX 19.3) to create your own installable Ubuntu 19.04 Live DVD once you have installed ExTiX to hard drive. I mean change everything and then create a whole new Ubuntu live system. Start Refracta Snapshot from Menu >> System >> Create a live CD snapshot of your system. You don’t even have to install ExTiX to hard drive before you can use the Refracta tools. If you have plenty of RAM you can create a new (your own!) Ubuntu system while running ExTiX from DVD or a USB stick. Please note that the whole Refracta process (creating your new ISO) will only take 10 – 30 min! You’ll find the ISO in /home/snapshots. The whole thing is very simple. Watch a slideshow showing how easy it is to use Refracta Snapshot.
You may want to install Spotify in ExTiX. Just go ahead. It’s very easy. When running ExTiX 19.3 live or from hard drive you can just install Spotify with the command sudo apt-get install spotify-client. Watch a screenshot when Spotify is running in ExTiX KDE.
THE IMPORTANCE of ExTiX Xfce4 being based on Ubuntu 19.04 (UNSTABLE/DEVELOPMENT)
I don’t think it is too important since ExTiX Xfce4 doesn’t use complicated Desktop Environments like KDE or Gnome. Programs won’t crash or anything like that. And I haven’t discovered any bugs to report.
Download ExTiX 19.3 from SourceForge.net – Fast, secure and free downloads from the largest Open Source applications and software directory.
md5sum for extix-19.3-64bit-non-efi-xfce4-refracta-calamares-kodi18.2-2180mb-190307.iso